Youth Swim Lessons
Swim Skills (year round)
The Swim Skills program consists of four levels and is designed for youth ages 4+.
Hutchins Street Square: Swim Lesson Schedule (every Tuesday and Thursday, eight 25-minute classes per session)
Fall Swim Lesson Sessions: September 3-26, October 1-24, November 5-29, December 3-27
Swim Lesson Level Descriptions:
Minnow (Level 1)
Must be at least 36 inches to the chin and willing to enter the water. In this class students will become comfortable in the water and learn the basics for swimming. Students will be introduced to floating and locomotion.
Seahorse (Level 2)
Must successfully pass Level 1 or meet the passing requirements of Level 1. Students will learn locomotion and floating in the water without support. This class builds foundations for swimming independently and teaches students primary skills for higher levels.
Jellyfish (Level 3)
Must successfully pass Level 2 or meet the passing requirements of Level 2. Students in level 3 build upon skills learned in level 2 and provides guided practice. Students learn front and back crawl, and are introduced to skills used in other strokes.
Otter (Level 4)
Must successfully pass Level 3 or meet the passing requirements of Level 3. In this class students will develop previously learned strokes. Students will learn strokes and build on foundations learned in previous levels and begins the development of more advanced strokes.
A class designed to fit the needs of the swimmer's skill level.
- Make sure you have selected the appropriate level. Transfers to another level after registration will incur a $10 transfer fee.
- If it has been more than 6 months since their last session, we recommend the child repeat the last level they completed.
- Most children remain at the same level for two or more sessions.
- If unsure which level your child is in, please refer to the lesson levels description and pick the level you are sure they can complete the skills in.
- Your child will not be moved to a different level or class if registered incorrectly. You will have to pay the transfer fee and space is not guaranteed in the next level.
- Make sure that your child has a swimsuit and towel at each lesson.
- Swim caps and goggles are optional.